The South African Sommeliers Association (SASA) has established itself as an integral part of the food and wine industry in South Africa. The movement was started in 2010 when a group of the same minded individuals got together in the hope of forming an association to help uplift and promote the service of wine in South Africa. SASA is a non-profit organization and aims to offer its services to service industry professionals in South Africa. The association offers internationally recognised Sommelier qualifications to all its members and organises the best sommelier and best young sommelier competitions in alternating years. SASA is a proud member of the ASI (Association de la Sommellerie Internationale) , the globally recognised Sommelier body, through the ASI SASA liaises with associations from other countries and will therefore act as an official representative of its professional membership within South Africa.
Meet The Team
• ASI Certification 1
• SASA Junior Sommelier
• WSET Level 3 (Merit)
• Certified Specialist of Wine (CSW)
• Michael Fridjhon Wine Judging Academy Graduate
• Founder of Uncorkified
• BTech in Financial Information Systems
• Business of Wine Certificate, UCT GSB
• ASI Sommelier Level 1
• Cape Wine Academy Diploma
• South African Adavanced Garagiste Winemaking Course
• Van Ryn’s Advanced Brandy Course
• Best Sommelier of Zimbabwe 2020
• Founder of Expression Wines Africa
What is a Sommelier?
A sommelier is a professional from the vitivinicultural and catering sectors (restaurants, wine bars) wineries or other distribution channel that recommend and serve beverages at a professional level. Their field of activity is the service of wine in the catering industry or in establishments selling wine, as well as the provision of specialised advice for those involved in the wine market, by ensuring appropriates presentation and service of products. The sommelier has completed a training course that leads to a university qualification or other certification and is consistent with the definition, role and skills covered in this resolution.
- 04 Mar 2024, 10:00 – 12:00Cape Town, 103 Bree St, Cape Town City Centre, Cape Town, 8001, South AfricaThe ASI Sommelier Diploma is reserved for members of the sommelier community who achieve “a high standard of service together with a deep knowledge of world food and wine; of the management of the beverage sector and of the culture of the vine and wine”, transforming their work into art.